Thursday, August 21, 2008

Finally!!!

I have time to post! Wow... this is cool... I can do this and then just relax. I don't have any pics for you today, but I can just give you the "update" promised...

So, the last few weeks have been very busy, yes, but in a very good way. I've been working on my NHS application, among other things, and found that I have a total of 58 community service hours since last September... maybe not as much as others have achieved from other places, but for AHS, and for me with other stuff, it's really not bad. (So much for modesty, right? haha) Most of the hours were obtained from my church in Clint, from working the 100th anniversary and the 30 min slide show for it's history to the 4 sermons I have delivered since then. Speaking of which, maybe I'll try and post the latest one on You-Tube and some of you can check it out.

Golf, Sophomore Class, Student Council, and other various committees are going good... no complaints at all. Speaking of which, remember when I said that 37 Sophomores attended our meeting? The latest had 62 in attendance... we have hit the right note here. People WANT to help at Red Cross stations, such as the William Beaumont Center! I have always believed in the goodness of my peers, just not that they shared my enthusiasm for helping out.

Homework, is, of course, piling up on all of us in the AP courses and in the COSMOS program, but hey... we ARE having some fun. Like, well... maybe this is nerd fun, but the other day in Pre-AP Chemistry, we were testing aluminum foil and one of the tests was to test it's chemical reaction to Hydrochloric Acid... man was that a reaction. It basically changed the phase of the foil from solid to gas as it "blew-up" in a black concoction... haha. And then there was Jacob, in our group one day, poor kid couldn't light the cigarette lighter for the bunson burner, of course after the gas has been running about 30 seconds or so... im so glad that a spark didn't come until after I thought to turn off the gas... haha

What else? Ahh... the Plaza theater. The oldest theater in El Paso, hadn't been open with movies since 1974! Now, after about 40 million dollars in donations was collected, it has re-opened with a movie festival lasting almost every hour of every day for 10 days! On Friday, dad, Will, and I went and saw Casablance... heck of a flick. Then yesterday, since our district had a half-day, Andrew, Savannah, Jade and I all headed over there and were sadly, going to see Titanic (so melodramatic... haha "Jack, you're so cold... I mean you're only in below freezing water... but you're so cold!" hahah... and haven't you ever noticed that none of the girls cry for the hundreds of dying kids, but they cry for the jerk perv?) but luckily, it was sold out, so we saw Giant in the huge old theater (where i saw Casablanca). It was good, but it was about 3 hours and 45 minutes... no joke. So, I get home, and finish homework-I'm a procrastinator-and fell asleep at about 12:30. Yet, this morning, I was awake at 6:30, and talked to Grandpa... and would you believe Momo - my grandmother - was still snoozing? haha....

So, the talk with Grandpa was a good start for the day, that and lots of coffee... twitch, twitch... I always used to think - when I was younger - that Grandpa Kit was a grouchy old guy, now I see the great family-man in him in the past few years, and frankly, I relate to him. Although, mom said he wasn't grumpy because we called him 1, on his birthday and 2, in the morning... hahaha...

After school today, I had to stay for the S.I.T. meeting... (School Improvement Team). It is run by our principal and her 6? A.P.'s, the department chair teachers attend, along with some organization leaders. Then, they have 3 kids go, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Clas Presidents. (That's where I fell in... yes, I am very humble today... man ahaha) and we discuss current issues at the school. After doing some budget reform and school policy changes, I pressed two huge issues that the students have told me about. A- cheerleaders, volleyball girls, and flag girls can no longer where uniforms due to school dresscode... ya, I was able to convince administration to reverse this one. I mean, come on! A kid can walk in with a tounge piercing and an ACDC shirt and a cheerleader can't wear her uniform? I mean, it has the school's name printed across the front of it!!! Then, I pushed for a change from last year's descision to have the 3 pep-rallies after or before school so that we could make more money and pay for the expenses of Leader's of Americas and AAA banquets (are leader-honoring dinners... usually with about 300 kids) because sometimes the totals are over $5,000 for each! That one, also, was reversed... haha... we the teens argued well.

Today, in AP World History, we read the necessary guide to life's keys, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, no joke. Probably published in about 1500 BC, it contains quotes that make your infinitesmal view on things seem grand. Take this, "The consummate leader cultivates the moral law, and strictly adheres to method and discipline; thus it is in his power to control success." I love that quote... really read it if you haven't. Im sure you can find it online somewhere... its not long at all. Another quote I want for the Student Council is "He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit thoughout all its ranks."

So, life is good; chances were just waiting to be taken. Go out there and get SOMETHING done... a small change can make the difference.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20)

Zach

1 comments:

Kari said...

WOW Zach... what a lot of accomplishments... I can say I knew you when... Congratulations for the leadership meetings and all that you have completed so far this year.